Published On: Fri, Jun 14th, 2019

Iran news: UK lashes out at Tehran after oil tanker attack | World | News


Foreign Secretary Jeremy Hunt said: “I condemn yesterday’s attacks on two vessels in the Gulf of Oman. Our own assessment leads us to conclude that responsibility for the attacks almost certainly lies with Iran.

“These latest attacks build on a pattern of destabilising Iranian behaviour and pose a serious danger to the region.

“In targeting civilian shipping, international norms have been violated.

“It is essential that tankers and crews are able to pass through international waters safely.

“We call on Iran urgently to cease all forms of destabilising activity. The UK remains in close coordination with international partners to find diplomatic solutions to de-escalate tensions.”

US president Donald Trump also blamed Iran for attacks on two oil tankers at the entrance to the Gulf despite Tehran’s denials, raising fears of a confrontation in the vital oil shipping route.

Iran has dismissed earlier US charges that it was behind Thursday’s attacks that crippled two tankers.

It has previously suggested it could block the Strait of Hormuz, the main route out for Middle Eastern oil, if its own exports were halted.

The blasts followed similar attacks a month earlier on four tankers, which Washington also blamed on Tehran.

They come at a time of escalating tension between the two countries. Last month the United States sharply tightened economic sanctions against Iran, which in response has threatened to step up its nuclear activity.

“Iran did do it and you know they did it because you saw the boat,” Trump told Fox News.

He was referring to a video released on Thursday by the US military which said it showed Iran’s Revolutionary Guards were behind the blasts that struck the Norwegian-owned Front Altair and the Japanese-owned Kokuka Courageous in the Gulf of Oman, at the mouth of the Gulf.

Iran said the video proved nothing and that it was being made into a scapegoat. “These accusations are alarming,” Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said.



Source link

Most Popular News