Published On: Wed, Oct 9th, 2019

Rafael Nadal provides update on recovery from hand injury after Shanghai Masters pull out | Tennis | Sport


Rafael Nadal says he is on course to return in time for the final two ATP events of the year as he recovers from a hand injury.

Nadal won his 19th Grand Slam title at the US Open last month and after a short break competed at the Laver Cup.

But the Spaniard was unable to play on the final day of the event due to an issue with his left hand, which required an injection to play on the previous day.

Nadal spoke of his need to rest and it was no surprise when he pulled out of Shanghai, 24 hours before the draw was due to take place.

He said: “After what happened to my hand after the US Open, I was not able to practise or recover well.

“I need time to try to be ready for the future.”

Today, Nadal spoke at the offices of Spanish telecommunications company Telefonica in Madrid, where he was greeted by hundreds of employees and president Jose Maria Alvarez-Pallete.

The 33-year-old, who has been an ambassador for the group since 2014, talked with Alvarez-Pallete about the rest of the season.

And Nadal revealed he is on course to play at the Masters event in Paris-Bercy and then the season-ending ATP Finals.

Nadal said: “The year has been very good, despite a complicated start on a physical level.

“From Barcelona, I have been able to play all the tournaments I have wanted.

“The US Open final was tough and the Laver Cup. I had and I have a small problem in my hand. I am recovering and I hope to fulfil the planned schedule and finish the year the way I would like after a season that has been good.”

There is also the small matter of Nadal getting married to his long-time girlfriend Xisca Perello.

The occasion will be held near Manacor at ‘La Fortaleza’ with around 500 guests due to attend on October 19.

Feliciano Lopez, NBA star Pau Gasol and King Juan Carlos are among the sports star set to appear.



Source link

Most Popular News